Sunday, March 20, 2011

Dance Review - Pinocchio and Verdi Variations

I spent my Saturday evening at the ballet with my little sister last night. I had offered to review the Royal New Zealand Ballet company's "Tutus on Tour" season for the Theatreview website, which thankfully was still able to come to Dunedin even though the usual venue was under renovation. 

This year the RNBC presented Pinocchio and Verdi Variations. I thoroughly enjoyed both pieces, each with their own stand-out performances. My favourite bit was when Pinocchio and Geppetto were reunited inside a huge whale - the whale was made of shiny see-though material and was lit from the inside so you could watch the scene happening through the body of the whale. Pretty cool!

You can check out my review here. I love getting to see all these different shows and giving my opinion on them!! Next weekend I am reviewing "Chocolate Zucchini Cookies" as part of the Dunedin Fringe Festival, so keep an eye out for that. 

It's Otago Anniversary Day on Monday so I get an extra day off this weekend!! It has also been the 150th celebration of the Gold Rush so our city centre was transformed into a shanty town yesterday afternoon.

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekends!


7 comments:

  1. J'adore les ballets classiques aussi…!
    Angela Donava
    http://www.lookbooks.fr

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love every type of dance! Cute post!

    Love, Letizia :)
    http://teensrunway.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...you get to review ballets?! I'm so jealous!! I wish they had Pinnocchio ballet here, it sounds cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your shoes from the previous post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys!! :) it is a pretty fun job, I haven't seen one I don't like yet!! I try to
    Make my reviews appeal to the average person, I know some people go into detail about the dancers technique but I think it's about the overall effect of the whole production :)

    Kc

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love ballet, it's sooo romantic! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm...chocolate zucchini cookies sound yummy. i <3 zucchini bread : )

    cute blog - i'm your newest follower. can't wait to hear your cookie review.
    cheers!
    cailen
    www.cailenascher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete