Friday, December 2, 2011

2nd Day of Christmas // Floral Fairy Headbands


I have two little Second Cousins who are only 1 and 3 so I wanted to make them something easy and sweet for Christmas. They are such cute little girls!! While my Cousins and I don’t really exchange presents anymore now we are all grown ups it’s nice to still give something to their children.

I came up with this idea after eying up my cake decorating supplies while I was trying to think of gift ideas. Hence the florists wire and tape! (indispensible for making flowers in cake decorating!)

They are pretty cheap to make and look so much cooler than the ones I have seen for sale in the shops. I reckon I could have got another one out of my leftover hydrangea flowers plus one more stem of mini roses.


 You will need;

Assorted fabric flowers of your choice (Try for ones with a little stem attached to flower)
Florists wire – 4 pieces. I used 22 gage. My headband was still quite flexible, so you could use  18 or 20 gage for a firmer headband. (Try somewhere like Spotlight or a Cake Decorators Shop)
Green florists tape (same as above)
Ribbon for extra decoration
Pliers
Scissors


1. Select which flowers you will be using and trim at base of stems (near stalk not petals!) using pliers or scissors.
2. Take 2 pieces of florists wire and tape together to form one thick piece. Repeat. (So you have 2) Pull the florists tape tight, it will become sticky and stick to itself!
3. Tape the two thickened wires together to form a circle – I guessed the size of a little girls head for mine.
4. Begin taping flowers and leaves to the wires using florists tape. Face them all the same direction on the first half of the headband. 


5. Once you have done one side, begin on the other. Start from the front of the headband and point the two middle flowers towards each other, then work your way towards the back.
6. Tie some ribbons in a bow at the back of the headband.
7. A better view of the ribbons at the back.
8. The finished headband!! All done!!


I can imagine lots little girls own a fairy dress and wouldn’t this make a nice change from a plastic fairy crown? They would also be a perfect birthday party favour!

I think I might go make one for myself now too...there’s nothing wrong with capturing your inner child is there?

Like all of my '12 Days of Christmas' DIY tutorials, there is a PDF version of this blog post here. Simpy click on the link, print out the tutorial and get to work. Easy as that. Feedback appreciated!


Make sure to check out the rest of my 12Days of Christmas posts for more awesome decorating ideas, recipes, and gift ideas!


2 comments:

  1. Kasey, this whole series idea is amazing! Made even better by the fact that your ideas are totally unique. I will definitely be checking back every day to see what you've put up next! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo pretty!!

    I'm so glad I've found your blog, it's awesome!!^^

    What do you think about following each other?


    xoxo
    Antonia
    FASHION IMPERATIVE

    ReplyDelete